Monday, May 14, 2007

Moms


So, yesterday was Mother's Day. I'm sure all of you love your mom's, and actually I have read about the love you have for them via blog, but my love for my mom exceeds all. My mom is truly the most selfless person I have ever known.


when I was about 7 years old my mom went back to teaching at Skyline High School. I was entering the second grade, and was excited because I could tell how happy and lucky my mom felt about getting such a great job. Now as I look back, I am sure she wasn't "happy" about going back to work, but was relieved that she got such a great position.


Over the years she would continually save her money for things that I wanted or needed. Here are just a few examples:


  1. For senior trip, she gave me her free flight she had earned from her credit card miles.

  2. She gave me money for a down payment on my first car.

  3. Let me put over $2,000 on HER credit card when I up and flew to Europe with Andrea. {that I also didn't pay off for a few years after}

  4. For the last year of college, she gave me $200 a month to live on.

These examples all have to do with money, but my mom gives so much of herself on a daily basis, for example:



  1. Guess who did the dessert dishes last night...(Mother's Day)...her.

  2. She acts super interested in the Jazz game just because she knows it will make my dad happy.

  3. She makes sure her husband has dinner EVERY NIGHT (this is something I think most moms of our generation do for their husbands, its just my generation ...or me....that doesn't do this anymore)

  4. She drops anything for her children. If one of us is having an issue or a bad day, she is there in a heart beat. She will talk to you on the phone or in person until she has calmed us down enough to say, "You are tired, this will all be better in the morning." or "This too will pass" or the worst (but most accurate) "Do you need some Ibuprofen?"

I was not a very easy teenager. My mom and I were butting heads more than either of us wanted to. I feel sad about it because of the friendship I have developed with her. I didn't have the easiest time in high school and when I would talk to my mom about things she would listen and always try to say the right thing. At that point, nothing was the right thing, but I wish she knew just how helpful she really was. And this is the last example I am going to share of my mom:


When I was 17 I was having a particularly difficult school year. Things with boys and friends were not easy. One night I started telling my mom what was going on. I was telling her about how hard I thought things were, and how I really felt about what was going on. At that point I lost it. I cried like a baby. She was sitting on a chair and told me to walk over to where she was. I sat down in her lap, she put her arms around me, and she rocked me. We were both crying at this point, but I remember the palpable love that was shared at that moment. I love my mom more than I could ever say in words.

Thanks for everything Mom.

{That pic isn't the best but its all I have, Thanks to andrea}

4 comments:

liz said...

ah. emmy. so sweet. i can honestly say your mom is one of the greatest mom's i have ever known. in a way i feel like she was my mom too {all those summer days}. and even now. though i don't see her as much whenever i do she always is so happy to see me and wants to know all about my life. you really are blessed to have her in your life. and i am too.

I'm Andrea said...

i love your mama too. shes incredible. you are lucky to have her. and i think she looks beautiful in that picture.

marta said...

wow. i've GOT to meet this woman. i loved her already for raising one of the coolest girls i've ever met, but now reading all of her sweet selfless qualities, i have to see her in the flesh!! hip hooray for rad moms.

you are a peach for recognizing her goodness and appreciating her! i'm sure you are her fave.

Amanda the Couch said...

you make me cry.