Thursday, April 26, 2007

Little Women


Last night at a wonderful book club party hosted by Lizzie dear, I was reminded of my undying love of the book (and movie for that matter) Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I am going to let you guys in on some of the amazing quotes from the book.

Here is today's:

This is a conversation between Jo and Marmee about their tempers.


"Poor Mother! What helped you then?"

"Your Father, Jo. He never loses patience - never doubts or complains- but always hopes, and works, and waits so cheerfully that one is ashamed to do otherwise before him. He helped and comforted me, and showed one that I must try to practice all the virtues I would have my little girls possess, for I was their example. It was easier to try for your sakes than for my own; a startled or surprised look from one of you when I spoke sharply, rebuked me more than any words could have done; and the love, respect and confidence of my children was the sweetest reward I could receive for my efforts to be the woman I would have them copy."


I love this quote. It perfectly describes how I feel about Miles and I think it is dead on about a mothers love.

5 comments:

I'm Andrea said...

One of my most favorites too.

alyson. said...

fabulous quote.

you should be getting your package today! :)

liz said...

oh sweet marme! unfortunately I can't stand that amy. she ruins everything.{at least that's what I think}

Katrina said...

I love that quote as well. But I admit to having a love/hate relationship with "Little Women". I hated that Jo didn't marry Laurie. And I hated how Amy was such a brat, but then everyone else was almost TOO good!

Em said...

Ladies ladies...This is proof that you have NOT read the book. I too hated Amy, until I read the book! You must, must, read it!